My Photobucket slideshow

Hornets Nest

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I got to do two things today. #1- I got my new bee jacket w/veil today. VERY nice. Here is a link to where I got mine [url]http://www.mannlakeltd.com/catalog/page91.html[/url]. I hope that html tag works. I hate HTML code. Im a drag and drop kind of guy. Anyway, it definatley feels bee proof or at least resistant. the veil will take some getting used to, but the back is supposed to be double layered to keep your noggin from getting zapped. We shall see. And #2- I opened thehive today and wow, I got to see some new girls hatching. I think I have some laying workers too. Due to the lack of bees to develope more comb and work the comb already built, I think some of the girls have been working like there is no queen. In fact I found another queen cup today. Im thinking that the arrival of a bunch of new bees will stimulate some new growth in both comb production and baby production. I still havent found the queen. She is ever elusive. I did find new bunches of larva so she is still busy. Before I add the next super I think Im going to alter my wood frames. Where the tabs at the top of the side bar are placed Im going to sand or grind out a notch so that just two small points are touching. I have found a couple smashed bees in these areas. I try to look for them, but they just wont move sometimes. I have too many projects in-line right now. I have a pig cooker in pieces in my shop, I need to build a honey extractor, and I want to build a top bar hive. Lots to do, no time to do it, and no room to do it all. lol.

No comments: